You are currently on the:CMHA National
Visit our provincial websites
Casual Peer Support Worker
Feb 14, 2022
Canadian Mental Health Association Wood Buffalo
POSITION TITLE: Casual Peer Support Worker – 8 Positions
PROGRAM: Operations – Recovery Team
POSITION TYPE: Casual/Temporary 6-month contract with possibility to extend; start date of March 1, 2022.
HOURS: Shifts Vary- Full & Part Time casual contract positions available including days, nights, weekends; 24-hour operation. There will be 12 hour, 4 on/4 off shifts at $28/hour.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Peer Support Worker inspires recovery by joining forces with other members of the Recovery Team to help support the wellbeing of the client. They’re responsible for excellence in peer support competencies and provides peer support to individuals resulting in the delivery of positive, compassionate services and strengths-based problem-solving skills. Individuals are required to provide support in a 24-hour, short term stay facility to any persons who are in mental health crisis.
REPORTS TO: Manager of Respite Centre
- Provide direct and group peer support for individuals impacted by mental health and/or addiction issues using the CMHA Wood Buffalo Recovery Model.
- Foster and create a safe and comfortable environment within the facility that supports the needs of all clients.
- Develop and maintain positive connections within the team as well as client relationships
- Respond to and investigate inquiries, complaints and emergency situations involving clients
- Ensure the safety and security of the facility
- Promote the peer support philosophy and empower people and/or families through their recovery journey, as measured by the Recovery Assessment Scale (RAS).
- Remain current with new policies, training, services, resources and legislation applicable to the mental health community and peer movement.
- Participate in the CMHA Wood Buffalo facilitated ‘Peer Support Community of Practice.’
- Adhere to the values and policies of CMHA Wood Buffalo.
- Promote the principles of diversity and equity in all work-related duties.
- Completion or expected completion of the CMHA Fort McMurray School of Peer Support course or equivalent is considered a strong asset.
- Two years related experience (volunteering, personal or paid), preferably in peer support, working with individuals with a mental and/or addiction issue.
- Lived experience of a mental health or addiction issue.
- ASIST training or previous experience working with people in crisis or experiencing suicidal feelings/tendencies is considered an asset.
- Superior engagement skills.
- Experience with conflict resolution
- Knowledge of local mental health and/or addiction systems and community services
- Interpersonal skills of a passion of helping others
- Ability to work 12 Hours shifts, day, night, weekends.
- Valid Criminal Record/ Vulnerable Sector Check
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccinations
The COVID-19 vaccination is a job requirement and a condition of employment. Offers of employment will be conditional upon proof of full immunization against COVID-19 with a Health Canada approved vaccine or approved medical exemption prior to the candidates’ start date.
How to Apply
Candidates meeting the above criteria who wish to apply for this opportunity should email their cover letter and resume, in confidence, to: Manager of Operations, Tiffany Stagg, [email protected].
Please submit applications by February 21st, 2022; expected start date is March 1st, 2022.
Canadian Mental Health Association Wood Buffalo is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity, equality, and inclusion. We thank every applicant for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.